Sunday, March 15, 2009

Should not have done the math.

I'm watching Desperate Housewives. (for the record, this does not fall into the category of "bad TV". This is actually very GOOD TV. In case you were wondering.)

Susan works at a private school as a teacher's aid so she can afford to send her son to the school. That's great, I'd do the same. Props to her for being frugal. I mean, according to the show, this school costs nearly $22,000 a year. For elementary school. What is it? College? For real? Who does that???

Um. **blush**
Apparently the HG and I do.

After gasping LOUDLY at that number, I thought, "Hmmmm...how much are we ponying up for day care?" Honestly, I figured that since we pay through the nose for day care, the private school parents in question (ok, ok, I know they're fictional...NOT the point) must be just rolling in it. I mean, $22,000 a year? That's a car. College. The down payment for a house in a small town in upstate NY (VERY upstate). Hell, it's more than I have left on my student loans (I think. This is another number I don't look up....) Ok, so my point is it's a lot of money.

Yeah. We are said parents. Our annual day care bill? Nearly $21,000. No, it's not $22,000. But really, we're going to split hairs over $1,000? Let's just say I suddenly feel very poor. And a smidge stupid. How in the hell did I sign my (still unborn) kid up for a $21,000 day care? DAY CARE?? Not even kindergarten. $21,000 for someone to make sure my son, what, gets cleaned up after he spits up? Oy.

Ok, ok. That is simply not fair. I know that day care is more important than that. I know that it's worth any expense to have my son in a place where I feel comfortable. I would pay twice that to know he's getting as close to the quality of care I'd give him myself. Hey, day care, infant care, preschool, nursery (pick your preferred term and insert here) workers, for the most part, do a fantastic job. Every day millions of women leave their children in the care of these hard working women (yeah, yeah, and men. Whatevs. I'm fine with a stereotype here. Bite me.) and I am sure that, like me, many of them are not happy about having to do it. I'm his mother. I want to be the one to see his first steps. Hear his first words. Decide what his schedule should be. But, alas, I have to come to terms with the fact that this is not an option for us at this time. Even though I carried this little guy around for 9(ish) months. Even though the HG and I wanted this little guy more than anything. And even though we already love him more than anything I can even imagine. I will have to drop him off every morning to be cared for by someone else. So, yes, as hard as they work, as tirelessly as they care for my son, they will never, ever do as good a job as I would.

So, ok. $21,000. Yikes.
But I think it might be worth every penny.

This, however, does not make me feel any better about the cost.
He is SO going to public school after Kindergarten. Momma's gonna need a vacation eventually....

1 comment:

Kristie said...

It is Worth. Every. Penny. Trust me.